Urge Congress, President to Stop Israeli ‘Massacre’ in Gaza
December 30, 2008
Gaza Under Siege
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today called on American Muslims and other people of conscience to contact their elected representatives and urge them to condemn Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip that have killed over 300 people and injured hundreds more, including women and children. In its bombardment of Gaza, Israel has targeted at least one mosque, a university and a warehouse for medical supplies.
CAIR also called on anyone concerned about the “disproportionate and counterproductive” Israeli attacks to call radio talk show programs, write letters to the editor and use social media websites such as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter to voice their concerns. Those contacting the media or using social media networks are being asked to offer support for the Palestinian right to freedom from occupation, to call for an end to the Israeli blockade of humanitarian supplies to Gaza and to demand a just resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Yesterday, CAIR issued a statement condemning the Israeli attacks and calling on President-elect Obama to speak out on the crisis. CAIR’s statement read in part:
“American Muslims join our fellow citizens who respect international law and
the sanctity of human life in repudiating this massacre carried out using
U.S. taxpayer-funded weapons.
“It must be clear by now that the only future offered to the Palestinian people
by the outgoing administration was one of perpetual subjugation and humiliation
at the hands of the Israeli occupiers. Unfortunately, our nation’s timid response
to this tragic episode will only serve to fuel anti-American sentiments in the
“We therefore call on President-elect Obama to demonstrate his commitment to
change our nation’s current one-sided Mideast policy by speaking out now
in favor of peace and justice for all parties to this decades-long conflict.”
IMMEDIATE ACTIONS REQUESTED: (Always be polite and respectful.)
1) CONTACT YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES and ask them to publicly condemn Israel’s “disproportionate and excessive” attacks on the Gaza Strip.
Point out that such attacks block efforts to bring peace with justice to the Middle East, harm our nation’s image and interests worldwide and strengthen voices of extremism in the region. Ask your elected officials to adopt an ever-handed Middle East policy that is in our nation’s, not Israel’s interest.
* The Palestinian people must be given some hope of freedom from Israeli occupation and domination.
* Israel’s immoral and illegal collective punishment of the Palestinian people living in the Gaza Strip must end.
* America must support a just and comprehensive resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that takes into account the rights and responsibilities of all parties.
Contact President George W. Bush:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
2) CONTACT PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA to ask that he speak out now in favor of a more balanced and pro-American policy in the Middle East that takes the rights of all parties to the conflict into consideration.
Contact the Obama administration transition team here.
3) CONTACT THE MEDIA. Call in to radio talk shows and write letters to the editor to express your views. To find local and national media contact information, click here .
Post comments on media websites and blogs that discuss the crisis. Begin you own blog and link to other sites that support a balanced American policy in the region. Start a free blog at: http://www.blogger.com