Read About the Most Recent Civil Rights Abuses Reported to CAIR-Chicago
l l l RSS l Text Size
August 7, 2010- September 17, 2010:
- A Muslim woman reported facing harassment and discrimination at her place of employment. The woman’s supervisor has treated her poorly compared to other employees, made comments about her religion, and referred to her as “scarf lady.” CAIR-Chicago has advised the woman of her legal options.
- A Muslim woman reported discriminatory treatment by her employer. Her employer would not compensate a worker’s compensation claim she filed for an injury she incurred while on the job. CAIR-Chicago has advised the woman of her legal options.
- A Muslim man attempted to take a lunch break after sunset so that he could properly break his fast during the month of Ramadan, but his supervisor would not permit him to take a break at that time. CAIR-Chicago advised the man of his legal options and will continue to monitor the situation.
- A Muslim woman was terminated after her involvement in a religious debate with another co-worker, although the co-worker was not terminated for her involvement. CAIR-Chicago has advised the woman of her legal options.
- A Muslim man was reprimanded by manager after employees complained that they were offended by an email he sent the staff explaining the Islamic month Ramadan and inviting the 90 staff members to join him for lunch in honor of the Islamic holiday, Eid ul-Fitr. The email had been pre-approved by an HR representative but three staff members complained that the email was “inappropriate,” “religious and political in context,” and “too close to 9/11.” CAIR-Chicago is contacting the company and will seek a positive resolution to the matter.
- A Muslim man working at a Chicago university laboratory reported that he has been continuously harassed by a doctor in his lab. The doctor has asked questions such as “Do you hate Israel?” and “Are you going to bomb a plane?” and has attacked his work performance. CAIR-Chicago is investigating the matter and will take whatever action necessary to seek a positive resolution.
- A Muslim woman was kicked out of a religious homeless shelter after a member of the staff told the woman that she did not like Muslims. CAIR-Chicago contacted the shelter regarding the incident.
- A Muslim woman was stopped at the U.S./Canadian border and heavily questioned by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. CAIR-Chicago is investigating the matter and will take whatever action deemed necessary to assist her.
- A Muslim man was detained by local police and physically assaulted without reason or provocation. The man was not charged or arrested. CAIR-Chicago advised the man of his legal options.
- A Muslim man was approached by the FBI at his home for questioning. CAIR-Chicago advised the man of what to do if he is approached by the FBI in the future.
- A Muslim man reported problems he faced while trying to travel. CAIR-Chicago is assisting the man in going through the Department of Homeland Security’s Traveler Redress program.
- A Muslim man reported facing harassment by local police. CAIR-Chicago is investigating the matter and will take whatever action deemed appropriate.
- Two Muslims reported experiencing delays in obtaining citizenship. CAIR-Chicago is incorporating these cases into its Citizenship Delay Project.
- A Muslim man enrolled in a boot camp was not permitted to perform his daily prayers. The man was only allowed to pray among Protestant participants in a Protestant Church. CAIR-Chicago has advised the man of his legal options.
- A Muslim inmate reported retaliation from prison administrators after filing grievances regarding his treatment. CAIR-Chicago is investigating the matter and will take whatever action deemed appropriate.
- A Muslim charitable organization reported receiving several threatening and racist phone calls from an identified number. CAIR-Chicago contacted the FBI regarding the threats.
- A Muslim woman was followed to her local mosque where her follower shouted bigoted obscenities at her. CAIR-Chicago has contacted the FBI regarding the incident and local police are investigating.
- A Muslim woman was harassed by a man at a local grocery store who yelled defamatory comments at her and swerved his car into her while exiting the parking lot. CAIR-Chicago advised the woman to contact law enforcement and will continue to monitor the case.
- A Muslim man had garbage thrown on him by a white neighbor who stated, “I want you Arabs out of this neighborhood.” CAIR-Chicago advised the man regarding the matter and will provide whatever assistance necessary to come to a positive resolution.
- A mosque reported finding a burnt copy of the Quran on their property. CAIR-Chicago advised the mosque’s board to contact law enforcement authorities and contacted the FBI on behalf of the mosque.
- A Muslim man is being fined excessively by his Condo Association for a sign he has posted in Arabic on his door. CAIR-Chicago is investigating the matter and will take whatever action deemed necessary to resolve the situation.
READ OUR ARCHIVES HERE
l l l RSS