The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) was signed into law by President Obama on December 31st, 2011. This controversial bill contains provisions that allow for the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens around the world without charge or trial.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today calls on Muslims and other people of conscience to ask their elected representatives to support the Due Process Guarantee Act, which would bar the military from detaining U.S. citizens without charge or trial.
The act reaffirms that American citizens suspected of terrorism and arrested inside the United States cannot be indefinitely detained by the U.S. military as is authorized by the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that President Obama recently signed into law.
We ask you to take action and stand up for your constitutional rights by supporting the Due Process Guarantee Act, as shown below. Also, show your appreciation for the 13 senators who voted against the NDAA by sending them a thank you note.
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED:
(As always, be POLITE and RESPECTFUL.)
1. Contact your members of Congress by clicking here.
On the right side of the page, enter your ZIP Code. On the resulting page, click the names of your elected representatives. Click the “contact” tab on the resulting page for your officials’ phone numbers.
• As your constituent, I urge you to support and co-sponsor the Due Process Guarantee Act, which clarifies that American citizens apprehended inside the United States cannot be indefinitely detained by the military without charge or trial.
• I am deeply concerned that the National Defense Authorization Act became law with the detention provisions intact.
• I believe that it is not the military’s responsibility to police or indefinitely detain American citizens suspected of terrorism, stripping them of their constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial and to hear the charges brought against them.
2. Tweet your members of Congress by clicking here.
On the left side of the page, enter your ZIP Code. On the resulting page, click the names of your elected representatives. Sign into your Twitter account, and tweet:
Protect our constitutional rights! Support and co-sponsor the Due Process Guarantee Act #DPGA #CAIR
3. Inform your friends and family by forwarding this alert to at least five other people. Tell them you took action and ask them to do the same.
SEND A THANK YOU NOTE TO THE SENATORS WHO VOTED AGAINST THE NDAA:
Contact the 13 senators who voted against the NDAA, and thank them for their decision to protect our constitutional rights.
Send a thank you note to the following senators by clicking here.
Tom Harkin (D-IA), Michael Crapo (R-ID), Jim Risch (R-ID), Richard Durbin (D-IL), Rand Paul (R-KY), Benjamin Cardin (D-MD), Al Franken (D-MN), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Lee (R-UT), Bernard Sanders (I-VT).
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.