CAIR-Chicago is now seeking a Part-Time Communications Coordinator who will be responsible for meeting the communications needs of CAIR-Chicago. To apply please send a Cover Letter, 2 Writing Samples, and Resume to Deputy Director, Sufyan Sohel at email@example.com. Please write “Communications Coordinator” in the Subject heading.
The Communications Department adds vital perspective to public discourse, publishes in a variety of mediums and produces the latest in new-media including audio, video, graphic design, web design, blogs, and other multimedia.
See the responsibilities and necessary requirements below:
CAIR-Chicago Part-Time Communications Coordinator
CAIR-Chicago is the Chicago chapter of CAIR National (Council on American-Islamic Relations) in the neighboring Midwest. CAIR is the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy group.
CAIR-Chicago is a not-for-profit organization registered in Illinois and functions as an organization financially independent of CAIR-National. Our organization aims to provide legal and community services to the Chicago area.
First and foremost, CAIR-Chicago deals closely with civil rights issues, taking up complaints ranging from bigoted gestures to employment discrimination against Muslims or those perceived to be Muslims. The organization is also involved in projects to increase civic engagement and political empowerment, helping community members understand and utilize the political system. We also focus on community outreach and interfaith events; as well as monitor the local media closely, flag bias against Islam and Muslims and respond accordingly.
CAIR-Chicago is looking for a Communications Coordinator to join our team in downtown Chicago.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Communications Coordinator will be responsible for assisting with everyday tasks of the communications department. The Communications Coordinator will also have a long term dynamic project to work on which will leave a lasting impact and strengthen the work of the communications team.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Monitoring, and drafting reports on the effectiveness of Social Media content across multiple channels, as well as making recommendations based on analysis and evaluation;
- Executing CAIR-Chicago’s communications strategy in partnership with CAIR-Chicago’s Communications Coordinator and Executive Director
- Managing graphic design, photography, and other multimedia needs as CAIR-Chicago requires to represent itself on emerging Social media channels
- Assisting with everyday tasks of the communications team as needed: such as managing and designing websites, creating graphic designs, and supporting the facilitation of projects such as the Travelers Assistance Project, and other upcoming programs and projects
- Assisting with media relations tasks, including pitching news releases and other content to reporters and media outlets and responding to media inquiries surrounding press releases, rallies, and lawsuits (in correspondence with our civil rights department).
- Effectively describing and communicating CAIR-Chicago’s work and core values at events, speaking engagements, media interviews, etc.
- Assisting with drafting of internal and external communications including, but not limited to, the regular CAIR-Chicago newsletter, press releases, etc.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in or have a degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants must be self-motivated, quick learners with excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Must have some working knowledge of civil rights.
Additional Requirements Include:
- The ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Availability to work a minimum 15-20 hours a week at our downtown Chicago office.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, etc.)
- Basic photography, graphic design and video editing skills are a plus
- HTML, CSS, and content-management proficiency also a plus.
- Willingness to learn is a requirement.
To Apply for this Opportunity:
Send resume, a cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CAIR-Chicago is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. CAIR-Chicago does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.