CAIR-Chicago Sponsors Community Food Drive: Volunteers Needed
July 21, 2007
As part of the Muslims Care project, CAIR-Chicago is collaborating with the Hyde Park Kenwood Food Pantry to help feed those in need. Volunteers will help package food that will be delivered to several low-income families.
Come join CAIR-Chicago and members of the Hyde Park Union Church this weekend!
When: July 21, 2007; 9:30am-1:30pm
Where: Hyde Park Union Church, 5600 South Woodlawn Avenue
The pantry is located in the Hyde Park Union Church at the corner of 56th St. and Woodlawn Ave. on Chicago's south side; enter by the side door: 1169 E. 56th St. This is a locked door, so you'll have to knock for admittance. Street parking is available.
Volunteers are expected to arrive by 9:30 am to help with the set-up and get oriented to the pantry. The rest of the time will be spent packing groceries and bringing them to the recipients, unloading deliveries of food, re-packing bulk food items, cleaning the pantry storage area, and other tasks as needed.
Other useful information:
1) No water fountain; bring your own beverages and snacks; a fridge will be available for use.
2) Wear sturdy shoes, no open-toed shoes or flip flops.
3) Wear old, light clothing; the pantry will be hot if the boiler is on.
4) Bring allergy meds or inhalers if needed (pantry is somewhat dusty).
5) For the safety of the volunteers, we ask that they stay in the pantry area unless specifically invited to go elsewhere in the building.