Register to Vote! Participate in National Voter Registration Day
CAIR Chicago recognizes the importance of exercising one’s right to vote. In the past, we have urged our local community to practice this right by hosting voter registration drives in Streamwood, Bridgeview and Villa Park, Illinois and posting action alerts onto social media to engage voters during the 2006 and 2014 general and primary elections. This year, CAIR Chicago hopes to further emphasize the importance of voting, starting with promotion of National Voter Registration Day – September 22. On National Voter Registration Day, volunteers will engage in a thorough group of efforts to inform and empower others to vote knowledgeably. National initiatives to register voters will consist of volunteers, celebrities and organizations efforts to register voters, mobilize volunteers from existing and forming registration drives, and educate eligible voters. Volunteers will be stationed at transportation hubs, retail stores, sporting events, and concerts to #CelebrateNVRD across the country. A thousand organizations will celebrate our right to vote and the day dedicated to it, using social media and grassroots efforts to register tens of thousands of voters and receive pledges from already registered voters.
Here is a list of events that will be held in Chicagoland and surrounding areas:
- Events to add:
- Get the Vote Out! Performances 11:00 AM – Village Square at Northeastern Illinois University
- Register to Vote at a Library
- 9:00 AM Lincolnwood Public Library
- 9:00 AM Franklin Park Public Library District
- 9:00 AM Plainfield Public Library District
- Miane West High School Voter Registration Drive 8:00 AM - Maine West High School
- Don't Hesitate, Register Today! 8:30 AM - Will County Clerk's Office
Next week, Illinois residents can go to https://ova.elections.il.gov/ to access online voter registration applications. Exercise your right to vote!