U.S. Mosques Urged to Host 'Ramadan' Iftars
ACTION REQUESTED: (WASHINGTON, D.C., 9/16/2005) - CAIR today launched its annual "Sharing Ramadan" outreach effort designed to enhance understanding of Islam and to help Americans of all faiths meet their Muslims neighbors by taking part in a Ramadan Iftar. Ramadan is scheduled to begin on or about October 4, depending on the sighting of the new moon.
CAIR's initiative addresses the rising level of Islamophobic prejudice in American society. Research shows that anti-Muslim bias decreases when people have access to accurate information about Islam and are able to connect on a personal level with ordinary Muslims.
"We encourage local Muslim communities to share Ramadan's spirit of mercy and forgiveness and to enhance understanding of Islam by hosting an interfaith Iftar," said CAIR Board Chairman Parvez Ahmed.
He quoted the Quran, which states: "O mankind! We created you from a single pair of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you might come to know one another. Surely the noblest of you in the sight of God is he who is the most righteous." (49:13)
Ahmed said CAIR is helping local Muslim communities organize "Sharing Ramadan" Iftars by providing step-by-step instructions for hosting the events. The "Sharing Ramadan Resource Guide" is available online at: http://www.cair.com/sharingramadan05.pdf.
'SHARING RAMADAN" KIT TABLE OF CONTENTS:
* Welcome Letter from CAIR Director * Step-by-Step Guide to Organizing an Iftar * Sample Media Advisory * Welcome to Our Ramadan Fast-Breaking Brochure * Ramadan FAQs * Islam/American Muslims FAQs * Sample Event Program * Sample Newspaper Ad
1) FORM A 'SHARING RAMADAN' COMMITTEE in your community to help in this effort. E-mail email@example.com so we can keep track of all the communities participating in this nationwide initiative.
2) COPY AND USE the materials in the "Sharing Ramadan" kit.
3) CONTACT A LOCAL CAIR OFFICE for help in organizing the iftar. To find CAIR chapter contact information, go to: http://www.cair.com/default.asp?Page=chapters
4) SEND CAIR photos and video of your event. (Also count the number of attendees.)
5) BECOME A CAIR MEMBER or DONATE to help us carry out this important work. GO TO: https://www.cair-net.org/asp/donate.asp
- END -